Worried about keeping your items safe while living in Shanghai? Here are 5 tips that I use to keep my items safe from pickpockets.
- Ladies, do not let your purse out of your sight at restaurants. This means not slinging it over the chair or setting it down on the floor. My purse always went straight to my lap.
- Keep backup cash in a separate location. I typically hid my wallet and kept a small amount of spending money in a dummy wallet to buy train tickets, food, or those adorable trinkets that you just have to buy but will probably never use.
- Your back pocket is just for show. Unless you feel like involuntarily donating to the needy, I recommend you find another spot for your valuables.
- Keep a firm hand over the openings of your laptop bag/purse to make it more difficult to get into without your noticing.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don't just be aware but let the people around you see you are paying attention so they will look for other targets. I found this to be the best deterrent.
What do you think of this list? What method do you use most to keep your items safe?
Check out this awesome video of pickpockets in action by China World Expat..
If you liked it, share it!